I’ve finally realized that resolutions are not my thing. In the past, I’ve tried to make them a big part of starting each year by writing them down and proclaiming them to the world, but all it does is stress me out. All of that public declaring is exhausting. The expectations from myself (and others) feel overwhelming and suffocating–it takes the joy out of new beginnings.
Another reason making a resolution isn’t for me is because it demands huge blocks of change. I’ve noticed in my life that when I have created true lasting change, it’s always been from small, micro-movements. I work better in small spurts of adjustments than I do in huge over-hauling chunks.
The small movements ease me into transition and keep my momentum going. Implementing those small chunks fosters my growth and I avoid overwhelm in the process (most of the time). When I follow my heart, my life is easier.
So this year, I’m not making any resolutions, but instead, I am committing to a specific feeling:
This is the year of following my gut.
I find when I really tune into my inner wisdom and my natural compass, things always work out better. To others, it may look like I’m going against the flow or acting foolish, but tuning in to my intuition always brings me to the place I need to be. It helps me override that competitive monkey mind and tap in to listen to what my heart is calling out for.
In a way, letting go of resolutions is about letting go of expectations.
Following my gut stops me from being distracted by shiny objects or comparing myself to others and it helps me focus on my unique path. It reminds me that everyone has their own journey and that it’s ok to walk to my own song. Different is what makes us beautiful; honoring that is the best way to become more myself.
Following our instincts is about following the flow of ease and enjoying the ride. It’s about using the solution that works best, even when it will ruffle a few feathers.
Do you want to create your own gut-following journey? Here are a few signals I use that show me I am moving in the right direction, maybe they will help you too:
- When I trust my intuition and tune in, decisions are full of ease. As a result, I have a peaceful outlook.
- It’s a feeling of relief knowing that only I can know what’s best for me, even when it looks foreign to others.
- Following my gut gives me confidence as I get to know myself and my needs better. It builds me up.
- My intuition allows me to settle in to who I am. Asserting my needs can be scary, but my gut gives me guidance and assurance along the way.
- It feels joyful to know that my inner wisdom tells me what I need to know. I don’t have to guess or worry.
As we begin a new year, I hope this simple idea will help you find a feeling of your own to follow. And I hope it brings you joy and peace in the process.